Re: Need info about serial port programming -UPDATE

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:22:40 +0100

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 11:37:01AM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > Even if you're onlysampling at a rate of ~500 Hz or so, you probably
> > want to do this using RT Linux, using a kernel module, and hitting
> The question is wether he needs the RT aspects. I had understood that
> he can CLOCK(*) the device. So as long as he's doing the toggeling at
> the right average speed, everything is fine.
> But he need to do sound sampling at speeds "under 1000 Hz". The moment
> another process gets a chance to run, it won't be toggling the DTR line
> any more..... since he needs to clock the things at speeds well faster
> than the standard Linux clock, I'd say yes, he needs to use RT Linux.

We need about 100-200 Hz. That will be quite enough.
And we are doing a long-term analysis (the samples will be averaged over a
couple seconds) so there is no problem in losing a couple samples.

> The bottom line is that this is a broken design/architecture; this kind
> of sampling really should be done in hardware. The problem is that this
> appears to be some kind of school project, with artificial design
> constraints. Given that we generally don't optimize for broken designs,

That's right.. I would have used a proper sound card but our subject is
"Sound recording and analysis in hardware" and the PC was originally
supposed to be only for displaying the samples. (Now we use it to display
average values as well, but that's another issue.)

> we shouldn't be surprised if there isn't a good way to do this using
> standard Linux interfaces.

I would be glad if there was. Otherwise we would have to do it in DOS and I
have no initiative to start fiddling with interrupts and IO adresses.

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Windows NT indeed has very low Total Cost of Ownership. Trouble is, Microsoft _owns_ Windows NT. You just licensed it.