Re: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:31:07 +0300 (MSK)

In <14379.30599.780384.271421@wire.cadcamlab.org> Peter Samuelson (peter@wire.cadcamlab.org) wrote:

PS> [Mike A. Harris]
>> Actually, from what I was just reading about Windows 2000, Microsoft
>> is adding a new innovative feature that they single handedly came up
>> with that allows you to "splice" a filesystem onto a directory point.

PS> Patent pending, of course. (:

:-)))

>> I read that the reason was to do away with drive letters. So, hats
>> off to Microsoft for inventing this new concept of "splicing"
>> filesystems onto directories.

PS> This is a joke, right? Or maybe not; this wouldn't be the first time
PS> they have come up with innovative new 25-year-old tech. (Either way
PS> it's one of the funniest things I've heard today.)

Even more interestion thing about this "innovation" is that MS DOS HAD ability
to join filesystem onto a directory point (there was "join" command for that :-)
This ability was removed from Windows95 and now we have new, innovative
technology in Windows2000 ... Cool.