Re: [Fwd: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers]

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:28:11 -0800

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Pardon me, but what APIs? The problem here is that NT supplies the
> needed APIs and Linux doesn't. It's not a hack to allow folks to write
> USER/KERNEL drivers through a general IOCTL interface. Linux doesn't
> have one for FS drivers, but everyone else does. I can't use NWFS as a
> boot FS if I cannot open symbolic handles to talk to the FS driver.

You can't do that anyway! If it is the *ROOT* filesystem -- there is no
such thing as a "boot filesystem" in Linux -- you don't have any
userspace that you can open symbolic handles from.

There is clearly a disconnect here, and I have utterly no clue what
problem you're trying to solve. I'm pretty sure that you're asking the
wrong question, because the question you're asking makes no sense.

-hpa