Re: dual celeron 366 on ABIT motherboard

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 20:04:32 +0100

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 06:37:05PM +0000, os390 ibmos wrote:
> I am getting a dual Celeron Abit motherboard.
>
> I understand by reading the FAQ and the vendor who is selling me
> the ABIT that this board will run REDHAT 6.0.
>
> I just want to know if the Dual Celeron will be recognized by the
> Redhat 6.0 E-COmmerce kernel or do I need to do any extra
> software configiration ?

I think kernels of most distrubtion was compiled for UP (uniprocessor)
kernel since using SMP does not needed for most systems. (but I don't
know RedHat so ...) However if even RedHat uses SMP kernel you SHOULD
recompile it, since you can gain MUCH MORE power for your system if you
optimize your own kernel for yourself. This is true for EVERY Linux system,
and it's normal. Kernel compiling is an easy task. Think a bit : most OSes
hasn't got the chance to compile your kernel, so it carries many performance
brakes and unoptimized solutions for your actual system.
This was an "only imho" letter :)

Gabor

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
   Ready to love, ready to fly. Ready to fail, ready to flow, ready to die ...