Re: 2.2.13 oopsen (update)

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 05:04:52 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > I had been thinking of this exact mechanism for my linux-ecc kernel
> > driver.
> > If it finds bad bits in memory, it could malloc them in the driver and
> > never use them, so it will never be used by anything else.
> What would be nicer is a generic memory testing module - one could insmod
> it and run the tests. When it finds bad memory, it could alloc that bad
> block out of existence.

Well if you like stomping your cpu caches all the time... ;)

Ingo Molnar wrote some 'eccd' around 1997. It did checksum of all readonly
pages in memory, then constantly checked them with a kernel task in the
background when system was idle.

Maybe someone wants to modify this to handle all memory. I have Ingo's
eccd if anyone wants it (for kernel 2.0.x).

-Dan