Re: Patent

Konrad Rosenbaum (htw6966@htw-dresden.de)
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 17:21:56 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Joe wrote:
> > Does the linux kernel use a database? (retorical q here) I think
> > not .. thus this patent is irrelevant to what is being done in
> > kernel code.
>
> What would you call a filesystem, if not a database? :-)

Just a filesystem or Pre-Database :-)

Databases have mandatory transaction management. Means if process A
accesses data fields process B has to wait till A finished (except both do
reads only). On some better databases you may work around transaction
management - as on better filesystems you may activate transaction
management (by locking files).

Short:
standard optional
Database t.m. is active can be downsized (or even switched
off)
Filesystem t.m. is inactive can be _emulated_

Not that I ever wanted mandatory t.m.... but I remember an angry professor
who didn't like the idea of filesystems compared with databases - don't
run into the same trouble :-)

happy hacking (on things more important than "real databases"),
Konrad