Re: Linux Buffer Cache & Mirroring

David Mansfield (kernel@kvack.org)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:30:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I looked at some of the memory trackers. What I'm using is on par, and
> much simpler (it's like the resource tag tracking in Netware).

But how much time has it cost you in tracking down problems that otherwise
wouldn't have occurred?

> What is the best method for this? I noticed that there is a page *
> structure that uses a PG_Locked bit to flag the page structure. My
> concern is that most of this stuff uses macros that can change accross
> linux versions. Is this method consistent across all the Linux
> versions?

Use the helper function lock_page. The page cache is pretty much the same
across 2.x. Compare the differences in generic_file_read and such across
different versions to see what issues you need to worry about when
dealing with the page cache.

-ben