Re: NFS Client Problems with 2.2.12

justinf@us.ibm.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:05:59 -0500

Hi,

David wrote:

>> It looks like an AIX server bug and has been repeatedly reported to IBM.
If
>> you have any kind of maintenance contract with IBM please file a bug
report
>> against it. Since its file corruption mark the priority right up and
>> scream at people.
>>
> It _seems_ like IBM has released a patch too, now, at least they released
> a patch concerning their NFS-server some days ago, without any
description
> what-so-ever. Possibly this could be our long awaited bug... I haven't
> tested it yet, though, so I'm not sure...
>
> bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.10 os 675840

It appears that bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.10 is the fix for PTF U467476,
which
corrects two APARs:

IX46187: Routing of 4.1 NFS client APARs [probably an administrative
thing]
IY04922: The exportfs command crashes when run by non-root users

It does not appear that the NFS "off-by-one" error is included. There is
only one APAR raised against the 4.3.2.10 level:

IY05619: Exec format error loading /usr/lib/drivers/nfs.ext

I'm not certain, but it looks like IY05619 might be pretty pervasive. A
fix
is currently being packaged (the APAR only closed yesterday), so I guess
that
I would hold off on bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.10 until it is ready.

I'm keeping an eye on an open PMR which I think is the problem.

(If anybody is wonder what on earth APARs, PTFs, and PMRs are, take the red
pill and you'll see just how far the rabbit hole goes. ;-)

Cheers,

Justin T. Fries
IBM MQSeries Support
Raleigh, North Carolina