Re: Linux Buffer Cache Does Not Support Mirroring

Manfred Spraul (kernel@kvack.org)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:34:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> What everyone is side-stepping is that the interface between the drivers
> and the buffer cache is incestuous

What do you mean by incestuous -- if you mean that they depend on it,
you're thinking of things in the wrong way. Think of the buffer_head as a
block io tag. The block drivers themselves don't interact with the buffer
cache, they interact with requests.

> -- this prevents folks from building
> async I/O based FS's on Linux. The solution is not a simple one -- the
> drivers and buffer cache interface needs to be changed to elimnate these
> dependencies so.

So you're incapable of making use of b_end_io to complete an async io
request? Wow.

-ben