Re: Linux Buffer Cache Does Not Support Mirroring

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
1 Nov 1999 22:27:54 GMT

In article <381DC5A0.CABB7735@timpanogas.com>,
Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> wrote:

>What everyone is side-stepping is that the interface between the drivers
>and the buffer cache is incestuous -- this prevents folks from building
>async I/O based FS's on Linux. The solution is not a simple one -- the
>drivers and buffer cache interface needs to be changed to elimnate these
>dependencies so.

Actually, not at all.

The way to fix what you call "incestuous" is to just marry the two off
for good. They aren't incestuous, they're just living in sin..

The buffer cache is closely related to the drivers, and will become only
_MORE_ closely related to the drivers. That's because the buffer cache
is quite consciously being evolved into just a driver interface for IO:
the "buffer cache" is transforming away from a "cache", and into a pure
"block IO interface".

So no, the buffer cache doesn't support the kind of mirroring you want,
and almost certainly never will. But the page cache may eventually
evolve into the direction you're looking for.

Linus