Re: Perform minimal RAM test at boot

Louis J. LaBash (labash@lou1.ll.siue.edu)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:00:33 -0600

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 03:25:49PM +0100, Peter Steiner wrote:

> > > Nice. But it my eyes it should panic, not try to mark pages reserved
> > > and continue. If there's one error, there may be undetected errors
> > > nearby. I'd suggest panic() and forcing user deal with that.
>
> I'm not sure if this is really necessary.
>
> > You're very right.
> >
> > GOOD memory tests find all errors that can be modelled.
>
> This is *not* a memory test. It's a memory map veryfier. I wrote a good
> memory test that uses special access patterns to stress test the whole
> memory subsystem. It takes half an hour on my 64MB machine to complete.
> That's to slow for a standard bootup. And I'm still not satisfied with it.

Most BIOSes have some sort of memory test which is not very thorough;
but for cases where more is needed look at memtest86:
http://www.supercomputer.org/Downloads/index.html
it is slow and that is to be expected.

I suggest anyone having persistent memory problems should replace it,
the MB, or both.

--
Louis-ljl-{labash@lou1.ll.siue.edu}