Re: Getting table of partition from one disk?y

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 01:40:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Orin Eman wrote:

>> Just some words of wisdom for EVERYONE out there. Immediately
>> after setting up any hard disk, and every time you modify a
>> partition table _ever_, you should IMMEDIATELY do:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/root/hostname-hda-todaysdate.ptbl bs=512 count=1
>
>Doesn't help if /root is on hda. You should really back up
>to (at least one) floppy as well.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I just meant to use /root as a
temporary storage place. Most definitely MULTIPLE copies should
be made on various backup media.

I keep 3 copies on floppy physically isolated.

One should check their backups every so often as well.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org