Re: Format of linux_logo.h

Arjan van de Ven (root@fenrus.demon.nl)
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:58:41 +0200 (CEST)

In article <7vfs9j$gkc$1@palladium.transmeta.com> you wrote:
>> We want to put our own boot_logo in the kernel, when framebuffers is
>> enabled. But the format seems a little spectacular. All of our graphical
>> manipulation programs (ee, xv, gimp) can save the real format, but only
>> B/W (.xbm). Anyone has a script or a link to another program that does the
>> job?

> An interesting thing: Open Source and GPL dictate that the format used
> for a source file is the recommended format for editing. In the case
> of an image, I would think that would mean .png or some other common
> lossless image format (lossless, because you don't want to subject
> your edit store to multiple lossy compression cycles.) A program
> should be included to convert to the internally used format.

The format is actually a public format. There is a gimp-plugin for it (see
www.gimp.org; the plugins-section). Beeing a somewhat "native" gimp file,
what more does one want ? I agree that it is a requirement for open source
that at least one common paint-program can read/convert the current image.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven