Re: access beyond end of device errors in 2.2.12/13pre12

P.A.M. van Dam (nucleus@ramoth.xs4all.nl)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:51:31 +0200

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 03:45:28PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:29:12 +0100, Mark Hagger <mhagger@dera.gov.uk>
> said:
> OK, I'd really like to know what sort of IO was going on. Is it heavy,
> sustained access to a single large file or is there a lot of open/close
> activity going on? Were you deleting data at the time? Allocating
> data? If we can get some feedback on the load patterns, that will help.

Ok. Another case.

2.2.10 and up and 2.3.12 and up. Using LVM 0.7.
Machine is a Dual PPro (yes SMP!) 166Mhz/512, 128Mb of RAM.
SCSI controller is a NCR875.

I've got one LV of 1Gb striped over 4 disks. The stripesize is 4. When I
compile the kernel on this LV using make -j3 after a while I see these
"write beyond end of device" messages. Later the machine will indefinately
hang. Keyboard works, disk access isn't possible.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Pascal