Re: Anyway to mknod from kernel?

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Adam D. Bradley wrote:
>
> > That's how I've done it in the past. It's pretty easy, requires a
> > dirt-simple setup script to be run one time (instead of after every
> > install of the module, which I gather is what you want to avoid), and the
> > code is dirt simple: (snipped from something I was working back in late
> > 2.1 days)
>
> ... and will break apart RSN. _Please_ don't use the knowledge of
> proc_dir_entry guts - there are cleaner ways to achieve the same result.

So I see. As I said, that was 2.1 code, back in the Dark Ages(tm) of
Late 1998 when that was how it was done. ;-)

Looks like "create_proc_entry()" is the preferred interface now... and it
looks even dirt-simpler than what I quoted.

(This reply is only being sent in case there's anyone out there who will
find the name of the function more useful than "there exist cleaner ways
of doing things.")

Adam
-- Adam D. Bradley -- artdodge@cs.bu.edu -- BU x8921 MCS211 --- <>< ---
This message has been infected with a .signature virus. \ www.adbp.org
Copy it into your .signature file or the turnip dies!!! \ 2Cor6:12-13