Re: top reports init using 99% cpu

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:25:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Paul Gammans wrote:

>After a while of using my machine i've noticed init seams to be using
>99% of one of my cpu's. This seamed odd to me so after checking the

Is it possible you gone out of memory recently? To be sure you can try to
reproduce with my OOM fixes applyed. They will take care of init. If your
problem is a segfault due oom I just fixed it long ago. The good news is
that my oom fixes are going to be in the official 2.2.14 as well :). For
now apply my patch (it will apply cleanly both on the top of stock 2.2.12
and 2.2.13):

ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/proposed/v2.2/2.2.13/oom-2.2.12-I.gz

(note: the patch fixes a couple of other serious OOM bugs as well, it's
not only for init)

Andrea