Re: Invalid partition table, 1st entry [OFFTOPIC]

John Kacur (jkacur@vaxxine.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:17:16 -0400

almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch wrote:

> Guest section DW wrote:
> > LILO expects a DOS-type partition table, so if you want to use LILO on hda
> > and also have FreeBSD on hda, it is easiest to have FreeBSD inside a
> > partition, and not on the whole disk.
>
> Actually, if the problem is only that the partition table isn't supposed to
> be valid, adding ignore-table to the global section of /etc/lilo.conf may
> do the trick. LILO will still complain, but it will try to continue anyway.
>
> - Werner

Thank you for yours and everyone else's help. The solution which finally worked
for me, (at least I think this is what happened! - I tried lots of things) was
to delete the new partitions using the FreeBSD install program, and then
booting to Linux with a floppy, running fdisk on the appropriate hard drive,
and choosing option o - create a new empty DOS partition table. Sounds pretty
simply, but for a few days, it looked like I wasn't going to be able to use
that hard drive.

Just a warning to anyone on the list who might want to try FreeBSD, when you
are adding the BSD slice, even if you are dedicating a whole hard drive to it,
choose the "keep the drive compatible with other OS" option., or else it does
some odd things with the disk label and partition table.