Re: Intel E1000 server gig-card?

Steven Roberts (strobert@ata-sd.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:17:16 -0700

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
> By author: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> > Also remember the GPL subsumes anything freer. So you can mix code that is
> > as free as the GPL with the GPL as GPL. This is why we can share code
> > with FreeBSD that doesn't have the advertising clause.
> >
> > If it bugs you, write a clean GPL driver from their nailed together DLPI
> > glue and driver.
> >

> Yes, and with Berkeley recently scratching the advertising clause on
> all Berkeley-copyrighted code, it makes the pool of shareable software
> quite large.

Only thing to remember is that you technically can't go back (i.e. you
can go from BSD to GPL, but not from GPL to BSD). Not to say going back
to BSD doesn't happen. Of course most folks don't care as long as it
stays in the OpenSource community (I have seen it and based on some
comments from ESR recently he has seen it to).

Regards,
Steve