Re: binfmt_aout.c

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 03:06:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

>Please do not put this in 2.2.14. As far as I can see the 2.2.13 patch on
>binfmt_aout.c does not really serve any useful purpose, quite the contrary,

Side note: I never sent such binfmt_aout patch to Alan or to Linus. Just
check l-k.

The binfmt_aout patch I sent to Alan was a one liner (see l-k) for an
obvious bug and it had nothing to do with the binfmt_aout stuff that is
been merged into 2.2.13.

The patch I produced starting from the 2.3.x code - and that is been
merged in 2.2.13 - instead has a very good object that is to allow the old
binaries to run even on filesystmes with a blocksize > 1k.

>1. Warnings: I hate getting a printk every 5 seconds.
> Getting three warnings at boot time to remind me of
> the fact (which I am well aware of) that there still
> are many old ZMAGIC binaries, is amply sufficient.

I backported the messages from 2.3.x and I think the point of the messages
is exactly to remind to to the binary only people to produced ELF
binaries.

Andrea