Re: [*E*OT] Two basic programming questions

bert hubert (ahu@casema.net)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 02:06:34 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 04:29:15PM -0700, Linux Lists wrote:

> I have two very basic questions:

*very* basic :-) I would like to advise you to read up on programming under
Unix. Things are different here than under DOS.

> 1. Is there a libc function that does the same as 'clear' in a shell
> script, i.e., clears the screen??

Your terminal needs instructions on how to clean the screen. These
instructions differ among 'makes' of terminals. These days, most people will
either be using a Linux console, an xterm or a vt* emulator (ie, windows
Telnet, putty, securecrt, whatever).

The diversity of terminals means that you need to look up how to clear the
screen on the terminal you are using. There are several ways to do this.
Take a look at /etc/termcap to see how this information can be stored.

Most modern console tools prefer to use either curses, termcap or slang.
Google (www.google.com) will help you find these tools and their
documentation.

> 2. How do I share data structures within different applications (not
> instances or threads of the same app)? Is this a mechanism available
> in the libc itself or is it from some other library?

There are several very dirty ways of doing this. I would mostly advise
against using these. The 'right way' to share information is to pass
messages via sockets or pipes. However, if you insist, search on 'IPC' and
'shared memory'.

> Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the OT msg.

Please visit a technical bookstore, or Amazon, and equip yourself of the
right books. There are many more questions you will need answers to, I
think.

However, learning these answers is a wonderful experience. Enjoy the power
of Unix :-)

Regards,

bert hubert,

--