Re: X kills console

Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:00:05 -0400

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 12:39:16PM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:

> When I have to kill -9 X, is there anyway (w/o rebooting, the box has been
> up for 73 days on 2.2.10 SMP) to get the console back the way it was after
> the machine boots? I've upgraded the kernel to 2.2.13 but don't see a need
> to reboot (the console isn't that big of a deal, but would like to fix it).
>
> I'm sure someone else has been in this situation where the console is
> completely messed up and would like to have it back w/o booting.

I found that starting dosemu which uses the video bios and calls int 10h
to restore text mode will restore it for me. Switching out or kill -9ing
it seems to bring the restored mode to the console... I haven't done this
for a while, though. :) "restoretextmode" (svgalib?) didn't fix it
usually because it didn't restore the card-specific registers.

Otherwise, I donno. :) It'd be nice if X had a little "restore mode from
file" extension thing, instead of setting it back the way it was when
it's started...

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]