Re: 2.2.13 compile error

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:04:44 -0500

David Weinehall writes:

> This has been discussed quite extensively on debian-devel. Apparently,
> SuS (Single-Unix Specification) says that echo must not accept any
> parameters.

Good, I like to follow standards, even if I disagree with them.

> So either we specificy what shells can be used, or we'll have to rewrite
> the echo-statement(s) in some way (printf?).

Gnu Make has a lot of string-handling built in and it's easy to put
the version string together without "echo -n", just by concatenation,
filtering, and substitution.

Whoever does this work, please spend an hour in "info make" first.
It's powerful. Use the power.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"