Re: [OT] Re: Colour blindness & the Linux Kernel Version History

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:23:30 +0200

Jesse Pollard wrote:
> Then I realized that using black letters on white background
> allows the dots (black) to flow together making a smoother lettering
> appearance.

I've found that black letters on a white background allow the
white surround to flow together... (non-linear horizontal blurring --
not sure if that's perceptual non-linearity or the phosphor itself).
White letters on a black background as similar. In both cases the
vertical parts of characters virtually disappear.

The solution for me is to use a bold font on CRTs, but grey instead of
white (on black). So the intensity is similar, but the lines are quite
solid. On LCDs I stick to a non-bold font.

Curiously, I still find Netscape quite readable. I wouldn't like to
*write* with it though. Ghostscript is not great, but better with
anti-aliasing. Ghostscript in light on dark would look terrible, and
light on dark web pages usually look terrible too.

I wonder if my comfort zone is to have a *variety* of styles on the
screen, for different tasks. Including some light on dark, and some
dark on light, and a variety of fonts just to keep the eyes on their
toes, as it were.

-- Jamie