Re: [linux-kernel] mailing list properties

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:50:33 -0400 (EDT)

Good morning, Carl,

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 cspeare@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Don't know if this idea has been brought up before, but a lot of mailing lists

From time to time...

> make a habit of putting the name of the list in brackets in the subject, as I
> have
> done. This is a cool thing because it allows people to easily set up scripts to
> filter their mail into folders. Having about 4 mailing list subscriptions I find
> it a
> valuable feature. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Having 61 mailing list subscriptions, I find procmail to be a
valuable feature :-). Set up procmail to handle mail processing, then add
these lines to ~/.procmailrc :

:0:
* ^Sender:.*owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
linux-kernel

Please bring any additional discussion to private mail. Cheers,
- Bill

P.S. Please don't CC: Linus - he's not repsonsible for the lists and gets
too much mail as it is. List management is handled by Matti Aarnio
<matti.aarnio@sonera.fi> and friends...

I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over,
carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia,
I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will *not* carry a gun.
-- Hawkeye, M*A*S*H
(Courtesy of Richard Bouska <Richard@Bouska.cz>)