Re: HELP! 2.2.12 sudden death

Andrew Gormanly (a.gormanly@ucl.ac.uk)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:52:00 +0100

Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> :-> "Andrew" == Andrew Gormanly <a.gormanly@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I don't think that the following problem is strictly related to version 2.2.12
>>> I'm running:
>>>
>>> A couple of week ago I upgraded my computer from a good-ol' Pentium133
>>> to a Pentium II 400. So I had to change also the motherboard (Epox
>>> EP-BX3), the ram chips (2x64 MB, they were sold me as good for 100 MHz
>>> bus, the computer BIOS says they're 60 ns), and the case obviously.
>>>

>> 60ns? Isn't this the access speed for asynchronous RAM interface? Could
>> it be that you've got something wrong in the BIOS setup, that thinks
>> it's DRAM in the slots not SDRAM?
>
>> [100MHz strictly implies access time of 10ns (max_frequency =
>> 1/min_access_time), and lower would be safer.]
>

> The BIOS says something about SDRAM chips present in the case, and I
> clearly remember reading "10" on the circuits on the ram modules.
> When I go to the "chipset features" page it has a part relative to
> EDO DRAM modules, and here is where it says 60 ns. The M.B. doesn't
> have any 72 pin slot though. Do you think that I should try and mess
> with the options for SDRAM ? There are 4 of them:
> RAS-to-CAS Delay
> RAS Precharge Time
> CAS Latency Time
> Precharge Control
>
> There is also an option about AGP that I don't understand (I don't
> have an AGP card now, I will probably buy one in the future):
> AGP Aperture Size.
>
> I had a ram problem once on another computer, and it generated a lot
> of Signal 11 and Oops'es. This one simply freezes.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Pf

Some suggestions:

Could you find out exactly what the CMOS Setup reports regarding memory?
Also what it says about EDO, and what it says about SDRAM. Does it say
60ns - if so, where?

In the Chipset Features Setup, do you have an Auto Configure option? Is
this disabled? if so, try enabling it - and make a note of any changes.
then see what happens...

Do you have POST (Power On Self Test) disabled? If so, re-enable it,
this will tell you if you have a hardware problem. You should have "Halt
On" (under CMOS Setup) set to "All errors" and "Quick POST" (under BIOS
Features Setup) set "Disabled"

A lack of 72pin slots != SDRAM. EDO DRAM is also manufactured in 168pin
DIMMs, and your board supports these - but obviously only at FSB of
66MHz.

SDRAM also comes in 66MHz and 133MHz DIMMs - but of course with a p2 400
you're stuck at 100MHz bus. Can you try the DIMMs in another machine
running at 66MHz bus speed and see if they work?

Hope this helps,
Andy