Re: *Still* getting X server hangs under 2.2.x

Nicholas R LeRoy (nick.leroy@norland.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:29:01 -0500

Alan & fellow Linux'ers..

On Oct 18, 6:07pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> Subject: Re: *Still* getting X server hangs under 2.2.x
> > The problem is that it hangs completely without it, at least it *used to*.
> > I guess I should try a generic 2.2.12 without the ikd patch applied at
> > all. Or, should I try a generic 2.2.13pre17? Would you try with or
> > without ikd? If so, with what options?
> >
> The ikd soft lockup patch detects false oopses. The dump you get off tht
> specific option is non useful unfortunately

Well, Alan, I have to hand it to you. X has been running for 2 1/2
days now without a hicup. Hopefully, we got it. When it hits a week,
then I'll really believe it -- Right now, part of me still expects it
to die any time, but it keeps chugging along. :-) Thanks...

I don't know exactly what was wrong with my system originally, because
I've upgraded and/or replaced a lot of hardware and tried a lot of
different software options.

I started using IKD to help diagnose these problems, but apparently IKD
then became part of the problem. Hmmm..

Thanks much for your time. I'm going to try some more tests over the
next couple of weeks to try and narrow down what problems I really had
and what helped solve them.

Thanks again.

-Nick

--
| /`--_   Nicholas R LeRoy      | In a world without fences, Who needs Gates?|
|      nick.leroy@norland.com   | #include <disclaimer.h>                    |
|http://www3.norland.com/~nleroy| These are my own ideas, not my employer's. |