Re: NFS silly delete

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
21 Oct 1999 12:13:11 +0200

> Hi... This may not be kernel related, but I can't find a list
> where it fits...

> Every since we started using NIS, we're getting a lot of errors
> on the Linux workstations saying Cannot silly delete NFS ?????

> We're also getting messages in the logs saying Oct 20 17:44:38
> theakston kernel: fh_verify: root/wayne.office.moneyworld.co.uk
> permission failure, acc=13, error=13

> These both started around the same time and I can't find any
> references to them in my docs...

The errors are due to a known bug in the linux-2.2.x NFS
client.

Basically, silly-deleting is used when somebody tries to delete a file
that is held open by some other process. The deletion is delayed, and
the file is instead renamed to something along the lines of
.nfsxxxxxxxxx). The last process to close the file will then attempt
to delete it.
Unfortunately, the final deletion is done using the permissions of the
closing process rather than the permissions of the process that
actually attempted the deletion. If this process is being run by the
owner of the file, all is OK. If not, you end up getting the above
error.

I hope to provide at least a partial fix for this problem in the
upcoming linux-2.4.x.

Cheers,
Trond