Re: PATCH 2.3.23.5: ACPI iomap fix

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 05:47:59 -0400

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Attached is a patch against 2.3.23 pre5 which fixes ACPI with regards to
> iomapping. The warning messages added in pre5 brought to light this
> bug. This patch works on my K6 w/ ACPI.

Further note -- ACPI works, but is not correct WRT readl() usage.

The driver has a lot of code like this:

table = ioremap (table_addr, table_size);
foo = table->field1;
bar = table->field2;
iounmap (table);

The second and third lines of code perform a direct deref of the ACPI
data. That is fine (for now) on x86, but is not correct. I don't have
time to fix it right now, but the entire driver needs to be sanitized
like:

data = ioremap (table_addr, table_size);
memcpy_fromio (&table, data, table_size);
iounmap (data);

foo = table.field1; /* etc. */