Re: 2.3.22 and 23pre1 network hangs, .23pre4 beeps forever

Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:15:29 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 01:40:44PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Adam J. Richter wrote:
>
> > I am sorry for not having more detailed information about
> > this, but I thought I'd upgrade to 2.3.22pre4, which resulted in
> > a kernel that just prints one line, turns on the bell and never
> > turns it off. [...]
>
> ok, this are very likely my boot-time allocation changes in pre4. I added
> the beep so we know for sure that we are hanging due to a kernel BUG().
>
> a quick test, does it boot (and produce useful messages) if you change
> include/asm-i386/page.h's BUG define to only do the printk but not beep
> and crash the box? Also, could you send me your .config.

Not sure if this is related, but this happened twice to me as well with
pre4, both times while compiling kernels (between 5 - 15 minutes after
boot). I don't have it in my serial console backscroll anymore,
unfortunately, but it was a "kernel BUG in ...". I can't remember what
file it was in or line it was on, but I remember looking at it...ahh, I
see in the patch the code that looks like what I was looking at. I think
it was this in pagemap.h:

+ if (!inode->i_nrpages++) {
+ if (!list_empty(head))
+ BUG();
+ } else {
+ if (list_empty(head))
+ BUG();
+ }

This starts on line 100 in include/linux/pagemap.h, and I believe it was
the first if the two "BUG()" statements there that did it (but not sure).

Nothing strange in my config -- the big/highmem stuff was set to "off",
SMP enabled, IDE disks. I can send the whole .config if you'd like.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]