Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:56:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> That pci scan code has significant limitations.
> It doesn't handle the ACPI-D3 problem when warm-booting from Windows.
> This generates a bunch of bug reports, and they all go to me.

"enable_pci_device()" does that.

I do NOT think that finding a device should automatically enable it.
Especially as there are known instances where you might have to do extra
work before you truly enable it (ie USB would usually need to make sure
that the SMI interrupt is disabled before it takes over the USB device, so
that a SMM BIOS won't do anything confusing).

Don't make a monster. Make something that is simple, and expand on it as
needed. I do not like the way you usually sit on the code until you are
happy, and then release it in one big bunch without any input from others.

I prefer the incremental approach.

Linus