Re: HP NetServer LHr3/aic7xxx Help??

Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:55:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On 18 Oct 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> It is not quite clear to me if this is related, however I have an HP
> NetServer box as well (not sure which model number) which also has two
> NCR controllers on the motherboard. What I found is that all PCI
> devices on the motherboard are detected twice and the SCSI driver for
> the NCR then tries to probe each twice (in parallel) and boom. I
> hacked the sym53c8xx.c driver to get around this quickly and get the
> system booted.

The devices that appeared to be detected twice seem to be the ones that
reside on secondary PCI BUSes. At the time we have had to look into this
strange problem, we only had the Linux source to investigate and I didn't
find anything wrong from that source that may explain the problem. I have
accepted to handle this situation from the sym53c8xx driver in order to
give user a chance to use faulty HP NetServers (the change is pretty small
but certainly requires a good hacker to implement it at the right driver
place). (the ncr53c8xx hasn't this change, but latest sym53c8xx-1.5f in
kernel 2.3.22 has it). By the way, I also didn't find anything wrong in
earlier sym53c8xx and ncr53c8xx driver sources that may cause such a
double detection.

> I know Martin Mares has some patches for this, but they are not yet
> in the standard tree.

May-be they should be backported to latest 2.2 kernel. This will avoid
having to patch PCI device drivers in stable just for this problem.

Gérard.