Re: Need to understand something about booting (i386)

Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:03:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Daniel Haude wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I've been pestering a lot of mailing lists and newsgroups with this
> problem, but so far I haven't even got a hint of what might be going
> wrong. Since I have come to the conclusion that this is a problem
> between just the kernel and my mainboard, I have decided to come to
> this list with it. The symptoms:
>
> I can't boot Linux:
> - from floppies
> - from CD-ROM
> - from harddisk with LILO
> - from a bare DOS with Loadlin
>
> I can only boot it:
> - from DOS with himem.sys and emm386 loaded.

In your ROM BIOS setup, look for anything that resembles "BIOS-32" and
turn it OFF. This is one of the things that highmem.sys does because
you can't have two protected-mode things running at the same time.

See if this works.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).