Re: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?

Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:49:02 +0300 (EEST)

On 17 Oct 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> greg@linuxpower.cx (Greg Maxwell) writes:
>
> > Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> >
> > > I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
> > > distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
> > > whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
> > > any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
> > > removed at all...
> >
> > I don't know about anyone else, but I agree with this. I'm looking for
> > an official word though.
> >
> > I'd make ifconfig a facny script that turns your ifconfig command into
> > ip commands so that we could reduce the kernel interfaces at some point,
> > I'd also have it warn that ifconfig is old, use ip. Or something along
> > those lines...
>
> The problem is that most people compile without CONFIG_RTNETLINK
> ATM, and iproute2 needs rtnetlink. Before converting ifconfig into a
> wrapper for ip you would need to teach ip to fall back to the old
> ioctls for configuring basic things like ip addresses, and this would
> not fit very well into the iproute2 structure.

I do my own distributions and it's me who compile kernels :)) If someone
does compile kernels himself, it's on his own anyway... Any existing
distribution does have it's own set of custom tools and configs so it'd be
not that wise to expect that one can compile his own kernel and this kernel
should work... He could omit his SCSI adapter for example...

> I think it is better to keep them separated, and have the ugly
> ioctl/setsockopt stuff in nettools and keep it functional as fallback
> ad for compatibility.

May be. But it'd be a bad compatibility...

> Also, If rtnetlink was made a standard part of the network core (required
> for full migration to ip2) lots of people would complain about the bloat.

Let them cry. One can not satisfy every human being...