Re: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?

Greg Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:33:53 -0400

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

> I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
> distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
> whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
> any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
> removed at all...

I don't know about anyone else, but I agree with this. I'm looking for
an official word though.

I'd make ifconfig a facny script that turns your ifconfig command into
ip commands so that we could reduce the kernel interfaces at some point,
I'd also have it warn that ifconfig is old, use ip. Or something along
those lines...