Re: [OT] Re: Colour blindness & the Linux Kernel Version History

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:32:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, David Ford wrote:

> Audin Malmin wrote:
>
> > > Sometimes simplest is best; see http://www.memepool.com for an example. It
> > > may not be the most ideal for you, but it's likely to be readable by the
> > > widest range of people.
> >
> > Arrgh... Why does everyone insist on bright backgrounds? A
> > CRT is not a piece of paper, it's an illuminated display, bright
> > backgrounds just mean that everyone has to squint to read it... The
> > text is what is important, it should call attention to itself...the
> > background should be just that, in the BACKGROUND, minding it's own
> > business.
>
> because it's proven that reading black text on a white background is easier
> on the
> human eye than white text on a black background. ask your local
> opthamalogist or
> etc.

Umhm... While you are at it, don't forget to ask him about the effects of
flicker and their dependency on the average brightness. It's more than
enough to outweight the effect you are refering to. CRT (any CRT) does
flicker. While the normal vision can accomodate to 70-odd Hz flicker with
no problems _if_ the large part of the field is dark. Make it bright and
you will seriously increase the strain. It's enough to turn marginally
tolerable situation into hell. I.e. people who have bad vision or bad
lighting or have to look at the screen for many hours or have monitors
with lower frame frequency, etc. will be very unhappy about the thing.
And those things are pretty common ;-/ (and do correlate, BTW).