Re: pIII Serial (or lack there-of)

Scott Marlowe (smarlowe@ihs.com)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:02:21 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 Daniel.Egger@rz.fh-muenchen.de wrote:

> On 13 Oct, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> > There is one more use, in proving you own a computer if it is stolen.
> > simple program on a bootable floppy could be used to determine the
> > serial number of any computer's CPU. If you already have your PIII
> > numbers registered somewhere, that's pretty compelling proof that this
> > was once your CPU.
>
> How likely is it that your computer gets stolen? Or even more, how
> likely is it that you find it somewhere?
> Or may I understand your mail as a proposal to register everyones
> PC somewhere (going back to 1985....)

If you'd had a machine stolen, and seen it show up somewhere else where you
couldn't prove it was yours you wouldn't be so cavalier about this stuff.

Stolen computers are a problem. Hell, even between departments at the same
company it can be a problem.

As for serial number registration, I'll stick to a safe deposit box or my
own fire safe.

I'm not asking for anything but the CHOICE in a mainstream kernel to be able
to turn on the serial number for my own purposes, which right now would be
equipment tracking. I have no other use for the serial number outside of
that.

I'm not asking you to play along and let your machine do this. I want it to
default to off. I want you to have to recompile your kernel to do it. And
even then, I only want it to be stored on a hard drive if you explicitly set
up a switch in lilo or something to do that. Is that enough for you?