Re: automount probelsm in 2.2.12

Thierry Danis (danis@mail.dotcom.fr)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:33:24 +0200

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 05:08:04PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I wonder if there are any known problems with automount and kernel
> > 2.2.12?
>
> Yes. In some circumstances. I'm still waiting for a fix from the author.
> I generally suggest people use amd anyway, its more flexible but do make
> sure if you use amd it is the most recent version

Not sure if automount is really less flexible. I prefer it over
amd because it is much more efficient (compile time over NFS
is up to 20% faster using automount instead of amd).

My biggest worry is with NFS itself, which sometimes gets
stuck during mounting, with no other possibility than a
reboot. Usually happens when the NFS server reboots. Sometimes
for some other reasons (like this morning at work...).

Out of curiosity, are really the other NFS implementations
better than the one of Linux (Solaris, FreeBSD, for example).
When I read the discussions related to NFS in l-k, I just
wonder : "Are these problems specific to Linux NFS ?
How are they solved under FreeBSD (for example) ? Have had the
people working on NFS (Trond, Olaf, HJL, etc.) a look at *BSD
source code ?"
NFS is the 'nerf de la guerre' for us, and I'd really see the
Linux servers/clients as the most reliable ones.

A+,

--
	Thierry Danis