Re: PATCH: duplicate IP detection

Marc Merlin (marc_news@merlins.org)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:52:25 -0700

On ven, oct 15, 1999 at 10:04:41 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Would you maintain that statement if I check that the source MAC address is
> > different from mine?
> > In other words, is there any good reason for an ARP packet with my IP
> > address as the source, and a source MAC address that is different from mine
> > to exist (without it being a conflict that the kernel should whine about)?
>
> Yes. It can happen for certain HA setups when you do a local IP address
> takeover on failure (the application crashed but the kernel still runs)

That's a good point.

However, if you do an IP takeover:
- The original machine is crashed and doesn't do ARP anymore, so my proposed
patch wouldn't be able to output anything
- The original machine's web server let's say is down, but the rest of the
system is still working fine. In this case, you should not take over the
machine's IP just like this.
Either you:
- tell the other machine to restart httpd
- tell the other machine to shut down its interface, and then you take
over its IP

Taking over a machine's IP if its interface is still up is asking for
trouble and I believe it's ok for the system to yell at you if you do that
(one can always comment out the printk if really needed)

Marc

Finger marc_f@merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information