Re: TCP/IP Packet Loss (2.2.13pre17)

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
15 Oct 1999 22:13:42 +0200

edgy@alliedtours.com (Benjamin Suto) writes:

> We've run tcpdump on that network segment and noticed a few things.
> Most of the time, the connections are initiated and the mail checks go
> through instantaneously. Sometimes, however it seems like the
> connection is initiated, there is a delay of 6-7 seconds, then the linux
> server makes an ARP request for the machine, the machine responds, and
> things progress. We do not seem to have a network problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, or any other troubleshooting we can do
> to make this problem easier to solve?

Get the iproute2 utility from ftp.inr.ac.ru:/ip-routing, and check the state
of the neighbour entry on failure with "ip neigh".

Play with the timeout parameters of the ARP state machine (
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/core/<interface>/*) - especially base_reachable_time,
delay_first_probe_time, gc_stale_time. The sysctls are documented
in arp(7) in manpages-1.25+.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.