RE: PCI question

Bret Indrelee (bindrelee@sbs-cp.com)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:42:39 -0500

Martin Dalecki [mailto:dalecki@cs.net.pl] wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > In article <3807725A.827D4D74@cs.net.pl>,
> > Martin Dalecki <dalecki@cs.net.pl> wrote:
> > >
> > >OK, so I will just have to go to the chipset itself.
> >
> > And while you're at it, look at the traces on the motherboard too.
> >
> > Linus
>
> Oh usually the slots are just lined up. (Usually A is the
> nearest to the
> CPU).
> And this in no problem too since the code is only intended for
> customized in house usage. Read: We will use a limited range of
> motherboards
> and therefore we can very well figure out what the slot layout is :-).
> (Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to go after the chipset too.)

Then all you need is the bus/device listed in /proc/pci. A simple script
could convert the information from there into the format you evidently want.

There is still no reason to look at the chipset, since it can't tell you how
slots are labeled on your cases.

This will work until you happen to put a PCI Expansion unit on one of the
machines in order to get more slots. :)

-Bret

SBS Technologies, Connectivity Products
... solutions for real-time connectivity

Bret Indrelee, Engineer
SBS Technologies, Inc., Connectivity Products
1284 Corporate Center Drive, St. Paul MN 55121
Direct: (651) 905-4731
Main: (651) 905-4700 Fax: (651) 905-4701
E-mail: bindrelee@sbs-cp.com http://www.sbs.com