Re: serial.c patch in 2.3.19

Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:29:25 +0000

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 04:16:57PM +0200, Thomas Sailer wrote:
> tytso@mit.edu wrote:
>
> > I don't see how this would be breaking systems. Basically, this patch
> > causes the serial driver to not release the ioregion if the UART is
> > unknown. But if the UART is unknown, the region wouldn't have been
> > requested by the serial driver.
>
> Consider this course of action:
>
> setserial /dev/ttySx uart none
> resource not released
> setserial /dev/ttySx port 0
> resource still not released
>
> (tried as of 2.3.20)
>
> The AX25-HOWTO instructs people to use
> setserial /dev/ttySx uart none to make serial
> release a port before using another driver
> for that port, that's why it's breaking systems.

Ted,
if you look into the bugreport I sent you recently, you will find
a line that's doing exactly that. (setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none)

> > If you have two drivers trying to use the same port range, the first one
> > to grab the I/O range is going to win. Why should this be surprising?
>
> THIS is not the surprise. THe surprise is that
> setserial /dev/ttySx uart none no longer makes serial give up the port.
>
> Tom

Tom is right. _I_ personally have no problem using any other setserial options.
But many hamradio users are too clueless to figure that out themselves.
Especially as the HOWTO explicitely says 'use setserial /dev/ttySxx uart none'
It'd be nice if that behaviour could be preserved.

Bye,
Thorsten.

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski            Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230         Inet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |