Re: diff -X exclude_file for patching live kernels?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@bitwizard.nl)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:31:38 +0200 (MEST)

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > I then touch (create 0-length files) the files in the old tree that I
> > know to be new in the modied tree. I then do
> >
> > ln -sf linux-<version>.<patched> linux
> > diff -ur linux-<version>.clean linux
> doesn't -N option to diff(1) remove the need to create 0-length files?

Yes, it probably does, but if you do, you get all .o files in the new
tree into your diff. This way I get to selectively say which files
need to be diffed.

Yes, this puts the burdon on me to create the list of files that are
new..... Your approach has some advantages, as indeed I sometimes
forget one or two new files.....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------