Re: Guaranteeing processing speed...

Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:47:14 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:
> Games are unfortunately a great example of the reverse. A good audio
> mixdown for a game needs to be good to about 1/100th of a second, and
> the interchannel time delays for distant objects need 1/1000th second
> precision between them.

Accurate timing is one thing. Short mix->output latency is another.

Accurate timing is easy if you buffer enough data. To 1/44000th of a
second, no problem.

I don't believe 0.01s output latency is necessary. The video isn't even
that fast. We humans are used to seeing things before hearing them, so
a short 0.05s delay is fine. Seemed fine for the last game I worked on
anyway...

-- Jamie