Re: [patch] dynamic char and block devices

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:46:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> Yes. Though it might need a few more primitives to fully realize its
> usefulness. My tinkering to make it more flexible isn't getting anywhere -
> I wrote a find_resource to either find a resource or find its tree
> insertion point, which is now the core of __request_resource. However,
> because the list of siblings is singly-linked, it ended up taking a struct
> resource ***. Too sick to live.

Yeah, I don't think we have triple-indirect pointers in use anywhere so
far. And if we do, we probably shouldn't make it more common.

> Linus, would you consider a patch to make resource siblings doubly-linked?
> We could then use the list macros and avoid the pointer to a pointer stuff
> in the current code. Alternately, a tree.h might not be a bad idea.

I don't mind a doubly linked list at all, especially if you use the
<linux/list.h> implementation.

Linus