RE: Kernel OSS vs ALSA

Michael Cummins (mjcumm@isa.mim.com.au)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:20:19 +1000

But is it high enough quality?? And if it is good why did ALSA start?

> I've heard rumblings that ALSA is a kitchen sink approach like GGI,
> which has turned off some people.
What do you mean? Too many old cards supported. Or too many capabilities.
Or too complex. Or what?
And if there is a problem irking "consumers" why aren't they responding?

> There've been a few private discussions about writing a nice, clean,
> small (!) sound API based on the capabilities of current cards.

Why start again? Why not help fix whatever is wrong with ALSA?

Thanks for responding I think I have enough unbiased information to join the
alsa mailing list(if there is one) and see if I can help. I think its
(multimedia) an area where Linux needs to improve. Linux is good but not as
developed as MS in this area.
Michael Cummins

> Jeff
>

> --
> Custom driver development | Never worry about theory as long
> Open source programming | as the machinery
> does what it's
> | supposed to do. -- R. A. Heinlein

The information contained in this E-Mail is confidential
and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s).
If you receive this E-Mail in error, any use, distribution
or copying of this E-Mail is not permitted. You are
requested to forward unwanted E-Mail and address any problems
to the MIM Holdings Limited Help Desk.
E-Mail: helpdesk@mim.com.au or phone: Australia 07 3833 8042.