Re: i486 can't keep up with 2.2.12 ?

tenthumbs (10@dhyp5-101.cybernex.net)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:15:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Frank v Waveren wrote:

> Have you tried setting the config option Cpu can't handle full bandwith?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is a modem connection. The best I can get is
a 46000 connection which is 5.1K/s, at best. Modem compression could
make that go up to 11K/s and might be the cause of some of the errors,
but I see the same kind of thing with an ftp transfer of a file that is
already compressed. If I do a "ls" on some directory while the transfer
is running I get errors.

I assume you mean CONFIG_CPU_IS_SLOW. It's not set. I didn't see any
definition of "slow" so I don't know if it's relevant. I think turning
it on means the kernel will just drop more packets which seems to be the
wrong direction to go.

In any event, it *does* work with a different kernel and pppd.

Thanks for the idea.