Re: Hard disk power down after n seconds?

Andreas Dilger (adilger@enel.ucalgary.ca)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:18:22 -0600 (MDT)

Jens writes:
> > How can I set a hard disk power down timeout on a SCSI-disk?
>
> look for scsi-idle and patch it into the current kernel. (it rejects a
> couple times, but should be easy to be fixed - *I* even managed it :)

I've been using the scsi-idle patch for a long time, and it has its share
of problems (enough that I've stopped using it again). What happens is
if a disk has spun down, and you try to read a file which is partially
cached in memory, then the disk doesn't spin up, and your session hangs
and is uninterruptable... Someone who knows more would probably be able
to find the missed path in the scsi driver which wakes the disk.

Cheers, Andreas