Re: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
12 Oct 1999 16:48:45 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.m3emf0e2iv.fsf@sscnet.com>,
Benny Amorsen <bamorsen@netvision.dk> wrote:

>dp> In article
>dp> <linux.kernel.199910120618.DAA04453@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>, Horst
>dp> von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl> wrote:
>
>HvB>> Nope. devd is notified when the device shows up.
>
>dp> How?
>
>dp> If /dev/printer/0 will be a PC-style parallel port, and I've
>dp> built the driver as a module, the device has shown up when the
>dp> machine is built, but the driver is sitting there waiting for kmod
>dp> to drag it into core.
>
>Modern busses can tell which hardware is currently connected without

``Modern'' is not the word I'd use for the standard PC-style ports
on an IBM PC clone.

When I load a kernel that doesn't have one of the farm of parallel
drivers attached, the machine recognises the parallel port, but
the kernel loads up blithely unaware that anything out of the
ordinary is done.

>dp> If the file /dev/printer/0 doesn't exist, I can't open it and
>dp> can't tell kmod to load the driver.
>
>It could be created at device detection time -- that is right after
>the device is connected.

Yes, in an environment where you either (a) speculatively
load every possible driver to see what hardware is on the
system, (b) don't use modules, or (c) put autoprobing for
everything under the sun into the kernel.

If the solution de jour to get rid of that icky devfs is
one of these, I'll say that the cure is much much worse
than the disease.

____
david parsons \bi/ FYI, sizeof(kernel+devfs) - sizeof(/dev) = -21k
\/ on Mastodon.