Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:01:05 -0600

david parsons writes:
> I don't think you can do much better with an emasculated version
> of the code; as it stands right now, the notifier code could be
> changed to spit out
>
> add device=sdxx major=? minor=? options=?
>
> to clients hanging of .devfsd with no more kernel impact than the
> format string for the abovementioned line.
>
> Richard, if I produced an emasculated version of the patch that only
> populates a flat filesystem with major and minor numbers required,
> would you accept it?

I doubt it. I can't see the point. I'm not willing to sacrifice useful
features for the sake of satisfying some people's idealogical vision
of purity. I've spent more time than I should have explaining why I
think that vision is flawed.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au