Re: : Becoming a Linux Hacker?

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:58:11 +0200

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 05:12:18PM +0200, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 11:35:10AM -0700, Ming Lei wrote:
> > I am also the one who is interested in compiling old kernel, like
> > v0.0.1 or v1.0, and booting it. However, I had difficulties to compile
> > those acient kernels, for example, in link stage, a lot of symbols in
> > x86 assembly code(head.S is one) remains undefined. Noticed here is
> > that I used current gcc compiler, like 2.7.2 or egcs, not the one to
> > used to compile those acient kernels(maybe 2.4). I hope to get gcc2.4
> > but nowhere to find it. I posted the help several weeks ago and
> > unfortunately didnt get any answers. SO, it remains a future excise for
> > me. Hope this email may get some response from the linux community.
> I remember Eric Youngdale posting saying he'd updated 1.0.9 to work with
> modern compilers and C libraries. 0.0.1 is a lost hope; you need minix
> and gcc 1.x as I remember.

I have an old LST 1.8 distribution on CD here, containing a full Linux
distribution with kernel 1.0.9, gcc of the same age, XFree 2.something and
a load of other tools. Runs fine in VMWare :-)

If anyone wants those bits I can put them up my FTP server. most of the
utilities are just a couple MB... the whole distribution is a boggling
120MB (or something) in size (wow!!). :-)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
.